Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Boxart

Painting in my atelier, or what I call my atelier, cause in real life it's no more than a part of the garage, is kind of a hazardous job. Trying to work around my paintings, means I have to crawl all over the place. Walking on empty buckets, hanging over an old table, using an empty fishtank as storage, sitting on a chair I have pulled out of my car...the shed looks a bit like a surrealistic painting itself.

When I look at the supply of new canvas-frames, waiting patiently in their cardboard boxes, I imagine a pile of Andy Warhol objects standing right in front of me. A pile of boxes reaching toward the ceiling. Each of them calling for attention. Waiting for their fifteen minutes of fame.


[February 1968 Warhol had his first international retrospective exhibition at the Moderna Museet gallery in Stockholm. The exhibition catalogue contained the best-known quotation by Warhol: "In the future everybody will be world famous for fifteen minutes.". Probably the only comment of Warhol that most people know.]

No comments: