Monday, January 11, 2016

Hold the line

He didn't make it. Keith. His life ended at 31, while I turned 53 today. Keith Haring, a popular legend. Went to see the exhibition 'The Political Line' at the 'Kunsthal', Rotterdam, a few weeks ago. First time I ever saw so many of his works in one place. Sure, I've seen a couple of his serigraphs, even a few originals at art fairs. But none of them as big as the ones in this exhibition. Well, actually I have seen one bigger painting. A mural at the ....Hospital at Paris which I've seen a couple of times during the days we regularly visited Paris.

Somehow it always felt as if he could have been my brother. After all he was born in 1958, only five years older than me; and only two years older than my real brother. Keith's life dramatically followed another line than mine. In his artwork he preferred the clear line. Simple drawn lines, creating figures which were repeated in many of his drawings. The political line was there, but to me it felt most of the artworks exposed at the 'Kunsthal', revealed the thoughts and daily philosophies of a daydreamer.

Here's where my personal interest meets Haring's ideas. But also where we differ. Instead of a range of figures, I prefer to create a drawing in which a full story is told within one figure. A pictograph if you like. As birthday present I was presented a handmade copy of one of Keith's drawings today, hand colored by my two year old granddaughter. A sign I cannot ignore. It's about time to pick up the line.

No comments: