Friday, January 17, 2020

Douglas' Treat

Lost my copy of Douglas Adams' book 'The Salmon of doubt;

Hitchhiking the Galaxy One Last Time' (a posthumous collection of previously published and unpublished material), a long time ago. But I never forget this crazy little story titled 'Cookies'.

It's just one of those flash stories I love to write myself. A stupid little thing which just happens. 
And by reading the first two lines of the story, you just know it might have been you: 
"This actually did happen to a real person, and the real person is me." 
Published posthumous, a year after his death, this anthology is merely a collection of previously unpublished material, occasional writings or, as is the case with 'Cookies', a speech. It's a great way to get introduced to the world of Douglas (1952-2001). The English author, scriptwriter, essayist, humorist, satirist and dramatist best known for 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy'.

Obviously I liked the story even more than I can recall. I found an illustration about the same story I made back in 2005. Do yourself a favor, get a copy of  'The Salmon of Doubt'. Get to know Douglas and, as you're at it, get to understand the title of this Skredch, which, not without reason, resembles a 'Dutch Treat'.

P.S.:  I had so much fun creating an Escher-like image. Noticed it? 
It seems normal, but the position of the arm holding the jar is impossible.

Original, handmade and unique drawing.
Mixed Media (Crayon / Acrylics) on paper.
15 x 15 cm / 5.9 x 5.9" (drawing; paper A4)
Original not for sale
Check out artprints, mugs, Tees and more fun stuff.

© E.Meinema

No comments: